Sunday, April 19, 2009

Readathon: End of Event Questions and Stats

My kids stats make mine look pretty wimpy:
Me: 477
Them: 956
Of course there are four of them and only one of me, but I'm happy that they participated. My oldest daughter read all of Blue is for Nightmares, and said it was very scary, and my son read all of The Battle of the Labyrinth, loved it, and wants to read the next one when he can.

Adding all of our minutes, we come to a grand total of
1514
So we'll be donating $30.00 to Action Against Hunger.
It doesn't seem like much, but every drop in the bucket counts


The breakdown:
Mental State:
I slept about six hours last night, but I'm still feeling a little groggy today
Calorie consumption status: Don't ask
Cumulative number of pages read by me: 477
Cumulative number of pages read by kids: 956
Cumulative read-aloud pages: 38 (When the other kids leave, hopefully we'll do more)
Pages read by guests: 43
Titles of Book(s)read:
Finished The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Started Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
Kids reading: The Battle of the Labyrinth, Blue is for Nightmares, The Talented Clementine; Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy, picture books.

The end of event meme:
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? All of them after the fifth hour! I was just so tired all day. Last time I didn't get tired until maybe the 22nd hour.
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency was perfect.
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope, it was great as it was.
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? It just seemed very organized and I appreciated that. I didn't even try to Twitter, but it sounded like fun for those who did.
5. How many books did you read? Only 2, and a little bit of another.
6. What were the names of the books you read? The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency , Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
7. Which book did you enjoy most? Hard to pick
8. Which did you enjoy least? Liked them both.
9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? N/A
10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I will read and cheerlead!

13 comments:

  1. Great job, Shelley. Reading and cheerleading is my favorite role as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $30 certainly isn't measly! It'll make a huge difference, despite how little it may seem!

    You and your children rock for reading so much! (And donating to charity. That's such a beautiful thought!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!
    You know, I've started The Ladies #1 Detective Agency a few times and could never get very far into it. I've seen a few people recommend it for the read-a-thon though. Maybe I need to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey congratulations on the read-a-thon. I have award for you in my blog, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you could get the kids involved too. That's great to see you all had fun and got a lot read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. way to go! I think it's so awesome that your kids participated too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I think it's awesome that your kids participated with you. My 8-year-old daughter participated, too.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on all that reading! I work for Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) so its great to see this type of post, and I am delighted to have discovered your blog!

    I want to alert you to RIF's Read with Kids Challenge going on now through June 30 on http://www.RIF.org/readwithkids

    Gran prize (random drawing) is a family trip to Disney. We want to collectively log 5 million minutes by the end of the challenge. Can yo help us get the word out about it?

    Thanks!
    Layla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on all that reading! I work for Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) so its great to see this type of post, and I am delighted to have discovered your blog!

    I want to alert you to RIF's Read with Kids Challenge going on now through June 30 on http://www.RIF.org/readwithkids

    Gran prize (random drawing) is a family trip to Disney. We want to collectively log 5 million minutes by the end of the challenge. Can yo help us get the word out about it?

    Thanks!
    Layla

    ReplyDelete