Thursday, April 2, 2009

Read Together 2009




Jennifer of Snapshot is hosting the Read Together Event. Here's a little bit of a description from her blog:

Read Together is a challenge to use reading as a way to connect with your kids. I am inviting each of you to set a specific goal in regards to reading with your child(ren).

And what's a challenge without prizes? We will have at least two. I have been offered a really great book for review called What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them. For another reader I will purchase your next read-aloud book -- anything up to $2o that is available at amazon.

So--think of a concrete goal that you can fulfill in the month of April. You can spread the word on your own sites if you want. Then on April 1, I'll have a Mr. Linky here where you can link up your post stating your goal. The last week of April, I'll have another Linky for you to post your goals (and perhaps just for fun, a goal for next month).

For more info and sign-ups, click here.


Here are my goals for the month for each of my children:

7-year-old daughter: I've been reading her one book everyday, and she's been reading one book to me. We'll bump it up to two each, maybe at two different times of day so she doesn't get to wiggly.

9-year-old daughter: We read together every night--she reads one page, and I read one page. Right now we're reading Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man, so I think we'll just continue with that.

12-year-old son: I think I'm done reading out loud to him, so we're going to read Larklight at the same time and then talk about it and write a post about it sometime in April.

14-year-old daughter: I get quite the look when I suggest she and I read the same book. I told her I would read anything she picked, and she just laughed wickedly and hasn't picked anything. All the more reason to savor the excitement of the younger ones. We have both read the Uglies series and Twilight, so I don't know what the big deal is. Whatever!!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, 14 year old girls. . . . !! You'll just have to follow her around and see what she's reading and then read it on the sly, LOL.

    Thanks for joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals - you've got your hands full, I see! I'm really looking forward to this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I love how everybody gets their own "plan" that suits them!!! Sounds a lot like us...we've generally got a pile of different things going with the kids all at once...I'm always reading a book to both boys (aged 6 and 8), I also read picture books with youngest, husband has been reading Series of Unfortunate Events with 8-year-old, he also reads these mini cat stories with youngest, 11-year-old daughter and I read same books quite a bit and just talk about them, and because I homeschool her, we also read and get a bit more "intense" about our literature choices for school. So fun to have a house full of readers, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you about the 14yo. My 13yod would rather die than for me to read aloud to her. What I have decided is to read a book of her choice silently in the same room with her as she reads her own book. We will be by ourselves reading which is a feat of itself.
    Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I don't have kids yet, but my brother is 15 years my junior (he's 12), so I'm always heckling him to read more. I find that if I can read something with him and find some common ground he gets more excited. It's fun to pass books on to him and to borrow books from him (right now he has my copy of Al Capone Does my Shirts and I have his copy of The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas). Too funny about your daughter--I could hear myself saying that at 14!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope to read the same books as my kids as they get older, too. And I'm sure that your 14 yr old is going to pick a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to read the same books as my kids as they get older, too. And I'm sure that your 14 yr old is going to pick a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to always be reading a full-length book to my son. I'm in the middle of Robinson Crusoe this month and then I'm going to start Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. He's only 18 months old, so I know he's not "getting" these books, but I think it's good that I'm reading him something while he plays.

    Except I've lost my voice today. Ouch. No reading aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope to read the same books as my kids as they get older, too. And I'm sure that your 14 yr old is going to pick a great book!

    ReplyDelete