Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Spice of Life Reading Challenge


About the challenge
Hosted by Rebecca of Rebecca Reads


I have been trying to be self-disciplined and not sign up for more challenges, but when one comes along that's right in line with something I've been thinking about doing already, I allow myself to go for it! This challenge is one of them.

I'm choosing the "Sampler" option of the challenge--choosing four books in four different categories. Here are the categories, and my probable choices:

Cookbooks Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen by Elizabeth Andoh (This is actually part of another project I've joined in on--"Washoku Warriors" hosted by La Fuji Mama, in which we will try a new recipe from the cook book each month.)

Non-fiction I haven't decided this one yet, although I've got my eye on a few.

Memoirs, autobiographies or essays Animal, Vegetable Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (I've wanted to read this for a while even though I've heard it's preachy. I could probably use a good scolding when it comes to my food consumption)

Fiction: The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (I received this from a giveaway a few months ago and have heard great reviews.)

As usual, I will keep track of my progress in the right sidebar.

8 comments:

  1. Shelley I see your list of non fiction reads is empty.I want to suggest No Room For Doubt by Angela Dove.It is excellent and I also have an award for you at my blog.Come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the challenge! Looks like a good list. I'm intrigued by the Japanese cookbook. I don't know anything about cooking Japanese food!

    I hope you enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The challenge button alone is enough to make me want to join!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know, I'm doing it again. You've got another award on my blog, here. This time it was for creativity and I just couldn't leave you out with all those projects you do! Scroll to the bottom of the post. Sorry, I didn't want to make a whole new post just for the award. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are a fan of Kingsolver's other works, you'll really like Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I didn't find it preachy at all. She has some neat stories in that book. It's one of my top 10 faves of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this challenge. I'm halfway through my second book of four, but now I wish I had signed on to read 8 because I like it so much.

    Enjoy your blog hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are a fan of Kingsolver's other works, you'll really like Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I didn't find it preachy at all. She has some neat stories in that book. It's one of my top 10 faves of all time.

    ReplyDelete