Thursday, March 13, 2008

Meme - Negativity

I was tagged by Dog Ear Diary, a site I love because of the variety of reading selections--I enjoy even just looking at the titles: Horse People, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for His a Hat, and An Anthropologist on Mars are some of the latest. Anyways, here's the meme:

1. When you dislike a book, do you say so in your blog? Why or why not?


If I don't like a book (which doesn't happen very often--I'll read just about anything!), I will say so in my blog. I don't know what the point of a review would be otherwise.

2. Do you temper your feelings about books you didn’t like, so as not to completely slam them? Why or why not?

I don't think I ever completely slam any books--almost everything I read has some good and bad qualities--even some of my very favorites have their weaknesses.

3. What do you think is the best way to respond when you see a negative review about a book you enjoyed?

I usually just write a comment saying how I feel about the book, and I would hope others would do the same for me. I like to read different opinions and perspectives. Variety is the spice of life! Just like food, everyone has different taste in books. I wouldn't get upset if someone hated banana cream pie (which I could live on), so I won't get upset if someone hated David Copperfield.

4. What is your own most common reaction when you see a negative review of a book you loved or a positive review of a book you hated?

I think sometimes a book can bring you so much joy or pleasure that you want to share that with someone else, and when they don't have those same feelings, it can be a bit of a disappointment.

5. What is your own most common reaction when you get a comment that disagrees with your opinion of a book?

Bring it on . . . just don't get personal!

6. What if you don’t like a book that was a free review copy? What then?

This is something I've never done, but I guess I would try to be honest.

7. What do you do if you don’t finish a book? Do you review it or not? If you review it, do you mention that you didn’t finish it?

Since I'm still pretty new to blogging, I don't think there is a book I have not finished since I started, although there have been a couple I was tempted to quit! I think I would review it, either to warn others who think their taste is similar to mine, or to find out from someone that I should really read the whole thing--that in the end it's worth it.

I'm so bad at picking people to tag--I'm a horrible decision maker! I'll have to give it more thought. How about if I just invite anyone who reads this to join in?

1 comment:

  1. Great answers! I agree- what's the point of a review if some aren't a bit negative? Thanks so much for the compliment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete