Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (2003, 383 pgs.)

I was tempted to do this four-word review for The Goose Girl:

Loved it. Read it.

But unfortunately that doesn't say anything about the content of the book. For those who need more to go by, here's what the inside if the front cover says:

She was born with her eyes closed and a word on her tongue, a word she could not taste. Here name was Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, and she spent the first years of her life listening to her aunt's stories and learning the language of the birds, especially the swans. When she was older, she watched as a colt was born, and she heard the first word on his tongue, his name, Falada.
From the Grimm's fairy tale of the princess who became a goose girl before she would become queen, Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original, and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can lead the people she has made her own.


Of course if fairy tales aren't your thing, you probably wouldn't love or want to read it. But for those who enjoy a wholesome, beautifully written tale of fantasy every once in a while, this is one of the most enjoyable I've read.


3 comments:

  1. I've seen so many good reviews about this book, I'm finally convinced to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I'm not the only one that was dissapointed with the jane austen book club book. I love shannon hale, she is one of my favorites! I think I loved Enna Burning more than goose girl, have you read her new one? It's up next!

    ReplyDelete