Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (1995, 10 hrs. 41 mi.)

Don't you just feel weird when you don't love a book that is raved about? After looking at the ratings on Amazon (1,078 people gave it five stars) and seeing it on a few top ten and top one-hundred lists, I just keep asking "Huh?" It is a very imaginative and original story about a girl named Lyra who is accompanied by her "daemon" Pantalaimon, a sort of separate manifestation of her soul that changes to different animals based on her emotions. She is a strong and courageous young girl, as well as rebellious and often dishonest, who is trying to rescue her friend Roger from "The Gobblers", a mysterious group of people who steal children. (That's just skimming the surface--the story is much more complex, with many unique characters and a beautiful setting.)
Despite the great writing and originality, I just didn't make any kind of connection with the story or the characters. There are definitely many layers to this novel, some of which have caused controversy for some religious groups due to the fact that the author is an atheist and is accused of trying to undermine Christian beliefs. All I can say is I read it, and I'm still going to church. Reading Harry Potter didn't get me into witchcraft either. But I do understand that literature can have a great impact on our beliefs and philosophies, and although this particular book in the series didn't seem too offensive to me, I probably wouldn't want my kids to read it without some discussion. And I definitely prefer the British title--Northern Lights. Doesn't that sound more intriguing than The Golden Compass?


7 comments:

  1. I preferred the original title, too. In fact, when I went to re-read this series later I was confused and thought there was a fourth book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this, just to see what all of the hype is about. When I bought it, my 9 yo son said, "Mom, Tanner told me that book is about people killing Jesus." I tried to explain to him that we don't just take people's word for things (esp. when they probably haven't read it), we have to decide for ourselves. Anyhoo...I need to read it. It was interesting to hear your perspective - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Becoming Jane too, it was a very cute movie! What do you think so far of Goose Girl? Enna Burning (which is after that is my favorite!) I have read all of Shannon Hale's and love them all! She also has one AustenLand, have you read that one? I am so embarrassed about my site, I haven't updated it in forever, thanks for the comment - maybe I'll give it some attention now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you on this book. I read it, and found it interesting overall. The characters/land are pretty amazing, but it just wasn't the most amazing work of fantasy ever. Oh, and I still go to church too.

    Golden Compass was my favorite of the three (though my favorite character, Will, isn't introduced until book 2). I thought Pullman got a bit preachy by the end of book 3.
    ~ Katy

    PS. I love your blog. Your reviews (at least of books I've read) seem spot on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, the controversy is actually the main reason I read it--I hate just taking people's word for things, like you said. It may very well be true that the series as a whole is anti-Christian, I guess I would just like to find out for myself.
    Debbi, I just finished Goose Girl today and loved it. Hopefully I will do a review in the next few days. I have only read Princess Academy by Hale and loved it, and want to read all of hers now.
    KT, I haven't decided if I will read the other two of His Dark Materials. If The Golden Compass was the best, maybe I should stop there! And thanks for the compliment. Book blogging is so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'm one of the ones who loved it, but I can certainly understand why others might have a "huh?" reaction. Oh, and I'm still going to church, too. Actually, based on having read the first two in the series, I'd say the books aren't anti-Christian; but they're anti-dogmatic-organized religion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you on this book. I read it, and found it interesting overall. The characters/land are pretty amazing, but it just wasn't the most amazing work of fantasy ever. Oh, and I still go to church too.

    Golden Compass was my favorite of the three (though my favorite character, Will, isn't introduced until book 2). I thought Pullman got a bit preachy by the end of book 3.
    ~ Katy

    PS. I love your blog. Your reviews (at least of books I've read) seem spot on. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete