Monday, June 14, 2010

Bloggiesta Accomplishments

The fiesta is over and my brain is somewhat fried, even after a good night's sleep. If you end up making your way from reader to blog, you will see it looks a little different. I can never resist a background change when the mood strikes.  I also have added:
  • An "About Me/Review Policy" page (which was kind of weird to do because I don't generally want review copies, but I thought I should at least express my desires on the subject because I do get emails offering them and I do occasionally accept.)
  • Pages for lists of reviews by author and title.  Yay!  This is what I really wanted to get done.  It took about 12 hours, with some glitches here and there, but I now have listed links for 173 books that have been reviewed on my blog since November of 2007.
  • Email subscription option, for those so inclined.
I did a few other fun things:
  • Completed six mini-challenges.  Thank you challenge hosts!  I learned so many new things this weekend.
  • Visited lots of new-to-me blogs.  I didn't keep close track, but I probably left around 50 comments here and there. 
  • Did some real-life stuff.  In the midst of the Bloggiesta, I was in a dance recital of all things, and we got a huge new freezer that I can stockpile with freeze ahead meals!  My body sort of quits around 3 or 4 o'clock each day, so when I have a dinner made ahead, we're all a lot happier.
I didn't even get to my "secret" list.  One thing on that list that I've wanted to do for a long time is design a header.  I'm just learning  how to use GIMP, so it could be a long process as I figure out what I'm doing and then design something I'm pleased with.  Maybe next time I'll be ready!

All in all, I logged in about 24 hours for the Bloggiesta, which was way more than I had planned.  When I woke up this morning, I had almost 900 items in Google Reader (not all book blogs, but still a little scary).  I almost never hit "Mark all as read," (it's a compulsive thing), but I had to do so on some of my categories this morning for sanity's sake.

Thanks again, Natasha! 


19 comments:

  1. Great work on the reviews by author and title. It looks great!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you accomplished a lot. One of the things I really want and need to do on my own blog is put my reviews up by author like you have done for yours. If it took 12 hours I am thinking it is going to have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a lot done...it's great to check things off that list!

    I'll be looking forward to seeing your header design.

    I finally learned how to do this on Blogger and Word Press, but you have a different kind of site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by my blog! your blog looks great!

    i know what you mean with the 900 items in google reader. i had to unsubscribe from the bloggiesta one since that by itself had over a 1000 entries. definitely a little intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sheisreading,
    Thank you!

    Kathleen,
    Maybe the way to go is to work on a small amount each week. My eyes were crossing by the end!

    Creations,
    Hopefully I'll get to the header soon. I can be a little lazy about such things!

    Toothybooks,
    Thanks! I also unsubscribed from bloggiesta this morning, and I'm must reading through the list on Natasha's blog to see how everyone did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Thanks so much for making my blog one of your stops during Bloggiesta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of GIMP but I need a header too. I will check it out.
    I like your background, it's very cheery and not overwhelming.
    Don't blame you for clearing your reader. I would too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you got a lot done too! I also wrote an about me/review tab for the first time this weekend. I like the way you organized your books read by author and title. I was thinking of doing by year but this might be better! Time, I always need more time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to read what you've accomplished. Gave me some good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment. :)
    Your review policy looks good!

    If you'd like some help with your header or you'd like me to make you one temporarily while you learn to
    use GIMP (I love making headers and it gets
    me out of doing homework), then please let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yipes -- I just took a quick look at GIMP and decided it's probably not a good thing to contemplate mid-cloudy-afternoon with heartburn. Another day, perhaps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You forgot to mention visiting blogs, I've seen your gravatar on almost every site I've visited! Very cool. Your blog looks great, nice work! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know from experience that those by title and by author pages are so time consuming! I'm not surprised you didn't have time for your secret list, though I'm DYING to hear about it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't participate this round, but Bloggiesta is one of my very favorite blog community activities!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you accomplished a ton of things. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Melissa,
    It was fun visiting. I love the name "Betty and Boo's Mommy!"

    Kristin,
    Good luck on your header. Thanks for complimenting my background, but I'm embarrassed to say that I've changed it a few times since this post! I have a problem with that!

    Amused,
    Yes, I would love more time! I did my lists by author and title because I love when other blogs have that.

    Buffy,
    Yes, GIMP takes concentration, at least for someone like me. But it's free.

    Teamouse,
    Thanks for the offer of help! I will keep that in mind!

    Runnersami,
    The visiting is my favorite part. I'm not sure why--I'm not that social in real life :-).

    Amanda,
    Maybe the secret list will emerge for the next Bloggiesta!

    Bkclubcare,
    Hopefully next time! I didn't do the last one, but I did the time before. Sometimes it just doesn't work out!

    Serena,
    Thank you! I accomplished more than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for commenting on my Bloggiesta accomplishments. I did start to get pretty stressed while I was writing my guest blog. Crazy stuff.

    It looks like you got a lot accomplished too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you managed to do a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I just say I love your review policy? Especially the "Fatal flaws" section! I don't know if you figured out how to add metadata tags to your blog, but if you go back to Bookish Ruth's mini-challenge, she provides a link to an easy way to do it.

    ReplyDelete