Saturday, June 5, 2010

48 Hour Book Challenge Midway

It's the middle of the 48 Hour Book Challenge for me. I've had a good night's sleep and am ready to get started again. For the first half, I was able to read for 11 hours and 45 five minutes which was beyond my wildest expectations. I read

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
The Silent Boy by Lois Lowry
Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko

For cleanliness reasons, I listened to Guests of the Ayatallah by Mark Bowden while cleaning up, taking a shower, and blow-drying and straightening my hair.  I may have damaged my ears some with the whole hair drying/listening bit, but it sure made it seem to go faster.

I  also spent some of that time reading out loud to my 11-year-old a book we've been flying through this weak, Trading Faces by Julia DeVillers.  I was scared I would be bored with this one when she picked it out, but it's quite entertaining.  We're hoping to finish it today.

Today I will continue to read Countdown by Deborah Wiles, and then I don't know what.  I do have a carnival to go to this morning and a fundraiser event tonight involving eating yummy food.  And looking around there's a fair amount of housework to be done.  I'm not as good at ignoring it as I once was. 

6 comments:

  1. You are doing so well! Good luck the rest of the way.

    Grace
    Books Like Breathing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are going great for you over there! It was free day at the art museum today so my husband and daughter headed out to catch the bus. I think they are having a great time and it's given me some nice concentrated reading time.

    Jealous of your yummy food! But I think we're having home-made pizza tonight, so I suppose I don't really have anything to be jealous of. :)

    http://situationswhereyoumayneedit.blogspot.com/2010/06/nine-hours-24-minutes-51-seconds-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your reading concinutes to go well!

    I've never read Boy in the Striped Payamas myself, but I sure am curious about it...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I think I am going to get 9 hours in for Day 1 but I knew it would be my weaker day. Awesome stats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! You are putting me to shame :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How's it going, Shelley?

    What did you think of Guests of the Ayatollah? Are you still listening to it?

    http://situationswhereyoumayneedit.blogspot.com/2010/06/twenty-two-hours-27-minutes-19-seconds.html

    ReplyDelete