Wednesday, December 10, 2008

9 Books for 2009 Challenge


It's challenges like this that keep me hangin' on--for better or worse--to the pursuit of blogging. Despite previous thoughts of quitting, I have at least 10 challenges I cannot resist joining. I refuse to take personal responsibility for my actions--these challenge hosts make it impossible to pass up such fun and creative themes!

This challenge (details and rules can be found at the challenge blog) was like a scavenger hunt for me. It was fun looking through my bookshelves for books that fit the different categories. Here are my picks:

Free (gift, ARC, etc.): Trespassers Will Be Baptized by Elizabeth Emerson Hancock
Dusty (had it for 3 years or more): Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
Used (bought it used): The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
Long (whatever you consider long): Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke
Letter (your name and book share a letter): Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Strange (Out of your comfort zone): The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Cover (prettiest or ugliest): Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Alive or Not (Nominated or won an award): A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
Distance (author's birthplace or setting over 1,000 miles away): Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

Thank you, Isabel from Books and Other Stuff for hosting this challenge!

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to your thoughts on Cranford and A Thousand Acres. (One I loved, one not so much.) :-P I've been thinking I should read the Bourne books one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this challenge too because it's pretty random!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved searching for these!! I'm gonna post as soon as I get it together. I am like you, taking no responsibility for what happens...I've also got about 10 challenges that I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really fun challenge. I promised myself I would limit my challenges for '09 but I bet I can fit this one in! LOL
    You have some books on your list that I really enjoyed, I hope you like them too (memoirs of a geisha is one of my favorites, beautiful book).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't think I've posted my list for this challenge yet. I'll work on it and get it posted this weekend.

    I really loved some of the books on your list. Hated one. Haven't heard of one.

    I'm looking forward to what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun but I"m not sure I can participate because it says only 3 books can be used for other challenges, and I"m in the 100+ challenge next year. I'm going to have trouble getting to 100, much less 106. I left her a question on the challenge blog, asking if the 100+ possibly didn't count as a specific challenge...we'll see. If it doesn't, if it's okay for all my 9 to count towards that one, I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining.

    I'm looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete