Thursday, October 28, 2010

Madame Bovary Part III and Final Thoughts


"From that moment on, her life was no more than a confection of lies in which she wrapped her love, as though in veils, to hide it" (240).

I have just finished a book about contemptible characters who do and say horrendous things, nevertheless I relished almost every page.  I feel as though I paid the characters much more attention than they deserved--my fascination with them  was matched only by their own self-absorption.  I felt like a voyeur  delving   into Emma's psyche while witnessing her desperate performances, "playacting" as her mother-in-law describes it.  She and other characters seem obsessed with crafting invented images of themselves, with no substance to uphold them, like Dr. Canivet, described as "practicing virtue without believing in it."   And yet I was riveted by this dichotomy between their inner motives and outer actions.  They're all (with a few exceptions) just a bunch of poseurs, however realistically portrayed.  Is it morbid to have been so entertained by the Bovarys' downward spiral and demise?  Well, at least I can accuse Flaubert of the same insensitivity in the writing of it.

If this story can be described as a train wreck, then in Part III the train is accelerating at an alarming rate, and I came just short of closing my eyes to avoid seeing the inevitable outcome.   This section seems frantic, and as the pace quickens, the irony becomes more frequent and the sarcasm more caustic.  Flaubert's beloved hats go on, then off; the colors are electrifying; and almost everything comes in sets of three.  I laughed.  I cringed.  It moved me--to judgment, which the narrator so avidly suspends.  I've got a whole collection of one-liners that kept me entertained.   Here's a few:

Emma's conversation with Leon before their runaway romp in the carriage: 
"It's quite improper, you know."
"In what way?" replied the clerk.  "They do it in Paris!"
And that remark, like an irresistible argument, decided her.

Pere Rouault, after Emma's funeral, in so much grief he cannot even bear to sleep in the Bovarys' house or see his granddaughter, says to Charles:  "Goodbye! . . . You're a good fellow!  And never fear, I'll not forget,"  he said, slapping his thigh.  "You'll still get your turkey."

Of Homais' ambitions:  "He followed the great chocolate movement."  (I don't even know if this was meant to be humorous, but it tickled me.)

I came to Madame Bovary with a fairly clean slate, and my expectations were all wrong, in a satisfying way.   What I thought was going to be a stodgy telling of a dissatisfied French housewife turned out to be  an in-depth psychological study in the form of a brilliant tragicomedy.  There are so many things that can be discussed (the different power structure in each of Emma's relationships, class distinctions,  the significance of the Blind Man, etc., etc., etc.), and I trust that other participants in the group read will cover them expertly.  Thanks again to Frances for hosting.  It has been wonderful (and humbling) to virtually rub shoulders with some very insightful and educated readers.


14 comments:

  1. I actually laughed at the Paris line myself.

    I, too, came to Madame Bovary with a clean slate, and I'm really glad I did. I knew The Awakening by Kate Chopin was inspired by this novel, and I can see why. I truly love The Awakening and now want to re-read it while MB is fresh.

    I'm so glad you mention the significance of the Blind Man - as I was writing my review, I wanted to touch on that, but it didn't quite fit where I was going. It certainly was an interesting device, particularly at her deathbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. This was completely different from what I was expecting and it was so good. I wasn't expecting all of the humor mixed in with the tragedy. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I thought was going to be a stodgy telling of a dissatisfied French housewife turned out to be an in-depth psychological study in the form of a brilliant tragicomedy.

    I think the above perfectly sums up my thoughts! I thought Emma was going to be some demon temptress and I was completely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a little off-track, but I kept thinking about Les Miserables when I was reading this, in that you need to have some humor and light moments (Homais, and that turkey line!) to keep the story from being too devastating.

    I'm so glad we all had the chance to read this together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words! It was wonderful to have you reading along.

    I especially appreciate your observation about the vividness of color here, especially the stark contrast between scarlet and black, one representing desire and the other death.

    An amazing read and all the more satisfying that we all took so much away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "They do it in Paris" could be the title of a romantic comedy from the 30s. Maybe starring Claudette Colbert.

    I love that line about Emma's lies becoming like a confection in which she wrapped her love like veils. Whatever else he was, Flaubert was surely an amazing wordsmith.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelley, ha ha, I had also kind of feared running into a "stodgy telling" of a story about a dissatisfied housewife going in! However, I was SO glad that Flaubert lived up to his hype as a writer and was equally happy to see that the novel was so engrossing that I actually cared about what happened to his messed-up characters in the end. What a great novel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought a trainwreck waiting to happen could be so funny! Just when you think Emma's going to be caught out, she's a bit luckier and Charles blinder than I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really glad you liked it, Shelley, because you know I liked it when I read it. However, I think I was 19 then, and I don't remember thinking any of it was funny, so it would be good to read it again now that I'm so mature and get the humor in books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Shelley. You did a great job summarizing this memorable, fascinating novel. I think I sped-read too much and missed a lot of the fine points; trying to keep up with the readalong deadlines did that. But it was great to have you and the other participants to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pickygirlfoodfilmfiction,
    It's been a long time since I've read The Awakening, and this has made me want to revisit it too.

    Avid Reader,
    I love getting something from a book that I'm not expecting, and MB certainly fit the bill!

    Jessica,
    I had the idea that Emma would have many more flings, and I wasn't expecting her to be so complex. I still am not quite sure what I think about her, and maybe that's what Flaubert wanted.

    Audrey,
    I hadn't thought about Les Miserables when I was reading this, but it is absolutely necessary for me to have some comic relief in heavy stories.

    Frances,
    So many things in the novel were vivid to me, sometimes I felt I was seeing a painting. Thanks again for putting this group read together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emily,
    It would be a great title for a film! I loved Flaubert's choice of words.

    Richard,
    Before this reading of MB, I had never even heard of the other novels he has written. I now want to try at least another one, because I did enjoy his style. I hope the translations of others of his works capture that style.

    Isabella,
    You know, Charles is almost unbelievably blind. You just want to knock on his head and say "Hello!?"

    Cindy,
    Sometimes I wonder if I just have a weird sense of humor! It may depend on the translation how much of the humor gets through. In the intro, Davis talks about the many translations of MB, and how at least a few of them took the story and added their own style, which would take so much away. You can borrow my copy if you want.

    Marie,
    Time can be very limiting! This is one of the only group reads I've ever stayed on schedule for. I enjoyed your thoughts however quick your read was :-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily,
    It would be a great title for a film! I loved Flaubert's choice of words.

    Richard,
    Before this reading of MB, I had never even heard of the other novels he has written. I now want to try at least another one, because I did enjoy his style. I hope the translations of others of his works capture that style.

    Isabella,
    You know, Charles is almost unbelievably blind. You just want to knock on his head and say "Hello!?"

    Cindy,
    Sometimes I wonder if I just have a weird sense of humor! It may depend on the translation how much of the humor gets through. In the intro, Davis talks about the many translations of MB, and how at least a few of them took the story and added their own style, which would take so much away. You can borrow my copy if you want.

    Marie,
    Time can be very limiting! This is one of the only group reads I've ever stayed on schedule for. I enjoyed your thoughts however quick your read was :-).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought a trainwreck waiting to happen could be so funny! Just when you think Emma's going to be caught out, she's a bit luckier and Charles blinder than I expected.

    ReplyDelete