Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cranford: Book and Movie Reviews


For the Elizabeth Gaskell Mini-Challenge hosted by Becky, I decided to read Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell and watch the BBC series of the same name.  Both brought me so much enjoyment and satisfaction that I needed at the time--another reminder of why reading is so essential to my well-being!

Cranford, the Novel 

Cranford is one of those "You had me at hello" books.  I remember reading the first page at my daughter's karate class, and trying to suppress a gleeful chuckle so as not to embarrass myself:
"In the first place, Cranford is in posession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses, above a certain rent, are women.  If a married couple come to settle in the town, somehow the gentleman disappears; he is either fairly frightened to death by being the only man in the Cranford evening parties, or he is accounted for by being with his regiment ... In short, whatever does become of the gentlemen, they are not at Cranford.  What could they do if they were here?"


So, obviously, this is a book mostly about older, single women in the town of Cranford, after all "'A man ... is so in the way in the house."  But encounters with men do occur, and there are some young-uns popping in here and there (including the somewhat enigmatic narrator).  Not particularly plot driven, Cranford is more a collection of humorous and heartwarming sketches with delightful details of life in an English country town in the mid-1800's.   Each paragraph was a new joy for me to read.  I especially appreciated this description of  the bachelor Mr. Holbrook's sitting room:
"The rest of the pretty sitting room ... was filled with books.  They lay on the ground, they covered the walls, they strewed the table.  He was evidently half ashamed and half proud of his extravagance in this respect."
I can relate!  Also of relevance to my life is a chapter that begins with a discussion that "everyone has his own individual small economies"--their own special thing they are OCD about not wasting.  For the Cranford community, this could be paper, candles, even string.  For me--Ziploc bags.  I am a baggie-washer.

But personal tidbits aside, Cranford is about really about life, love, death, and the inevitability of change.  And a cat that eats valuable lace.  Which brings me to . . .


Cranford, the Movie
This is a must-see Brit Lit Chick Flick!!!   I don't even know what else I can say.  Perhaps just a heads-up that it is not only based on Cranford, but two other novellas by Gaskell.  The stories intertwine, which leads to some obvious changes in the original story, but it all works out wonderfully.



 George Eliot Laments
As lengthy as this post already is, it seems like a good place to express my sadness at not being able to complete the George Eliot Mini-Challenge also hosted by Becky by the June 1 ending date.  I had planned on reading the two of Eliot's major novels that I haven't read yet:  Romola, and Felix Holt.  I did, however, acquire copies of each--one used from Amazon, and one for just a dollar at a discount book store.  Score!  I will read them soon, and mostly likely gush about the genius of Eliot.

11 comments:

  1. Great review! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with this book.

    Enjoy the new week! http://leeswammes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the "Cranford" series on my shelf, waiting to be watched. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched Cranford yet, but I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that I'll read Cranford, but I enjoyed watching it on Masterpiece a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I was a bit bored when I first picked up Cranford the book. I read it at the wrong time. But by the end I really appreciated it. I cannot wait to reread it.

    The movie made me want to go and read all the other Cranford stories by Gaskell! Have you seen the second installment, recently done? I have not, but would love to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was absolutely charmed by the mini-series on the BBC this winter. Isn't it fun to see how many different roles Judi Dench can play, from 007 to this?! Anyway, I'd like to read the novel sometime...

    I haven't forgotten your Brothers Karamazov bookmark, please excuse me for taking so long to mail it!!! School had me buried there, but now it's over. ;)

    p.s. So glad you're in for the JLC4challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. leeswammes,
    Yes it was a funny book, and also heartwarming.

    irisonbooks and Becky,
    I hope you get to watching the series soon, it is excellent. I really felt like I had been entertained and uplifted.

    Charley,
    There are so many movie productions that I've seen of great books that I will probably never read. Thank goodness for the movies!

    Rebecca,
    I think it was just the right time for me to read Cranford. I appreciated the mood of it after reading The Brothers Karamozov. Like eating an ice-cream cone after chips and salsa! I have not seen the second installment--I don't think it's available in the U.S. yet.

    dolcebellezza,
    Judi Dench is truly amazing, isn't she? No worries on the bookmark. I'm glad your vacation has come! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    Found your blog via the Japanese Reading Challange...

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed Cranford - I read this and the other two the mini-series is based on last year. I really love Elizabeth Gaskell and have many of her others to read.

    I loved the homliness of Cranford, the little domestic economies and how real and human the characters felt. Even though this book was written so long ago, these people felt like people I have known or know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe I haven't read the book nor seen the mini series yet. Where have I been? They sound fabulous. I have yet to see a negative review of either one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I haven't read the book nor seen the mini series yet. Where have I been? They sound fabulous. I have yet to see a negative review of either one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,

    Found your blog via the Japanese Reading Challange...

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed Cranford - I read this and the other two the mini-series is based on last year. I really love Elizabeth Gaskell and have many of her others to read.

    I loved the homliness of Cranford, the little domestic economies and how real and human the characters felt. Even though this book was written so long ago, these people felt like people I have known or know.

    ReplyDelete