Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Review Day

I'm pretty much free until this afternoon, so I'm dedicating this day to laundry and book reviewing. It may seem silly that I am writing a post to declare this, but it's just my way of making a commitment so I don't let myself get distracted by other things. I'm still in my workout clothes and my hair looks like I stuck my finger in a light socket, so that should keep me from venturing out into the world. I've got one cute kid home today, and she's the chatty one, so I'm sure we'll be having some conversations about very random things throughout the day. She's watching "Space Chimps" right now, but she'll be sharing her commentary with me a lot. I probably shouldn't even go into my bedroom, because it is in sore need of a few hours of attention, but I can just close the door, right? And dinner tonight is leftovers. Yay! It's Slow-Cooker Taco Soup, one of our family favorites. I'll add the recipe to make this post a bit more meaningful (it's from All Recipes.com):

1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with
liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced
tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
Directions:
1. In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain, and set aside.
2. Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on Low setting for 8 hours.


This only takes about 10 minutes to put together, and then it goes in the crockpot until dinner. I usually cook about 4 pounds of ground beef at the beginning of the month with the taco seasoning, and then freeze in 4 baggies so that I just need to defrost the seasoned meat and pop it into the pot. The only thing I have to do is chop an onion and open cans. We serve it with chips, sour cream and cheese, and then cornbread on the side. Delicious and easy. And it lasts my family of six two nights.
Okay, now on to reviews.

3 comments:

  1. The soup sounds wonderful. I made tortilla soup last night and am enjoying the leftovers today.
    If you have not already noticed, I am catching up on blog reading and commenting today. :-)
    I am about 8 reviews behind on my blog and have decided to post one everyday until I get caught up and then once again commit to not falling behind. Hmm. We will see how that goes.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette,
    Good luck! I have made that goal before and not kept it, LOL. I hope you're over your morning sickness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great recipe. My kids don't like anything but I'm sure my husband and I would like it. Good luck on the reviews. I've been struggling to keep up lately myself.

    ReplyDelete