Monday, March 16, 2009

Life Beyond Books Challenge: Bench Finished!

I haven't forgotten that this is actually a blog about books, but things have been very busy lately. I am excited that I finally got my bench done that I started over a year ago. It was fun to make and reminded me of how much I love working with wood.


The bunny and sign are interchangeable with others for different times of the year. Next up will be Uncle Sam with a sign that says "Let Freedom Ring." (I got these patterns from J & J Crafts.)

A couple of other things have been eating up my reading time. I have joined a "Biggest Loser" type of contest that lasts for 8 weeks. We all put in $25 and the top three losers win some extra dinero. So I've been spending a little more time preparing meals and working out. Wish me luck! At the end of the contest our city has a 5K run that I've always wanted to participate in, and I know if I lost some weight I could run better. Right now it's very stop and go for me.

I'm also trying to cut our food expenditures this month, which involves making more stuff from scratch. I love finding cheaper ways to make things, and am having a lot of fun. My next project is to make homemade pizza pockets instead of buying the expensive frozen ones. I also want to experiment with making chicken pot pies--my kids love the Marie Callendar ones that cost over a dollar each.

So if you're mainly interested in book reviews, and are miraculously still reading this boring post, I plan on reviewing these books soon:

The Pox Party (Octavian Nothing Volume I)
The Kingdom on the Waves (Octavian Nothing Volume II)
The Book Thief (a reread)
Confessions of a Shopaholic
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Rapunzel's Revenge
The Omnivore's Dilemma
Inkdeath
So Brave, Young and Handsome
The Bean Trees
The Plain Truth

So if I can figure out how to make pizza dough, kickbox, and write reviews simultaneously, I'll be good to go!

9 comments:

  1. I've started making a yummy imitation pot-pie casserole that uses whole wheat tortillas. It is *seriously* yummy and I'll never go back to frozen pot pies again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bench!! And good luck with all your other goals. Very amibitious!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet bench! that's lovely. and good luck with the contest. i look forward to reading those upcoming reviews you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun bench! You are so talented. Is it on your front porch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are quite talented. The bench is great!

    I hope you'll share any successful homemade recipes - we're always on the lookout for something new (and tasty).

    Good luck with your 5k. I'm not exactly a runner

    And, I look forward to those reviews...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bench is gorgeous! And the last time we made homemade pizza dough, even the dog wouldn't eat the scraps. :) Always on the lookout for new recipes, though! (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bench is adorable! I love it.
    Good luck with the contest. My husband's former office was holding a similar contest but then they shut the office down and I guess the organizer kept everyone's money? Not too cool.
    I made chicken pot pies a few years ago and they were disastrous. I have not tried again but maybe one day I will.

    ReplyDelete