Thursday, March 19, 2009

Challenge Organization




World Citizen Challenge
I signed up for the World Citizen Challenge a while ago, but never officially picked my books. Here's my list:

1. Politics: Diplomacy by Henry Kissinger
2. Economics: The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World by Niall Ferguson
3. History: Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
4. Culture: Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty by Bradley K. Martin
5. Worldwide Issues: Globalization: by Louise I. Gerdes (YA)
6. Memoirs: Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway
7. And one extra: Rogue State : Kim Jong Il and the Looming Threat of North Korea by Jasper Becker

I have also signed up for a couple of Mini-Challenges hosted by Becky:

George Eliot Mini-Challenge:
1. Felix Holt
2. Romola
**I may end up choosing to reread Middlemarch for one of these, we'll see what kind of mood I'm in.

Elizabeth Gaskell Mini-Challenge:
1. Read Cranford
2. Watch Cranford Miniseries
***In my dreams I may read North and South

It is with great restraint that I don't sign up for Becky's Trollope and Tolstoy challenges. I may not finish my current challenges this year at the rate I'm going, but I think I'm okay with that. As usual, you can see my (limited) progress in my right sidebar.

2 comments:

  1. Sheesh! Come summer, you are going to be the Smarty Pants!

    The G.E. challenge appeals to me the most because I just found two copies of Middlemarch when I unpacked my books last weekend. Wonderful book. I am in the mood for more. I think I have The Mill on the Floss somewhere. But I never remember if I've read it yet. Maybe I'll hunt downt he two on your list.

    Good luck with all your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read Cranford since I was in college but loved it and want to re-read it. The movie changed it up a lot but was still really good. North and South is in my top ten list of all time favorites.
    Good luck with all your challenges. I am slowly plugging along on mine and still hopeful I'll finish the majority of them.

    ReplyDelete