Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Audio: Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden


Author: John Marsden
Narrator: Suzi Dougherty
Published: 1994
Length: 7 hours 20 minutes
Source: Simply Audiobooks

Personal Enjoyment Factor: 3.5/5


 "Some people wake up drowsy. Some people wake up energized. I wake up dead."





This is one of those books that makes me wish I was young again.  I enjoyed it, but I know I would have loved it ten times more about ten times two years ago.  Ellie and her friends take a week long camping trip (would have loved this!) but when they return they find their families gone, their animals dead, with no idea of what is going on.  They use their brains and whatever resources they can find to get answers to their questions and try to stay alive in the process.  It's a survival story, an Australian dystopia, a down-to-earth love story, and a war story all in one.  There's even some deep philosophical stuff thrown in.

The narrator, Suzi Dougherty, was excellent.  She sounded just the right age and had just the right attitude without being annoying at all.  I had no trouble staying engaged in the story as I worked on sewing my daughter's costume for Hamlet.  I didn't think I could sew and listen to an audiobook at the same time, but it worked with this one anyway!

I'm not sure yet if I will go on with the rest of the series.  There are so many unanswered questions at the end, that I think I just might have to.  I also know that the movie came out in Australia, but was it showing here in the US?  Anyone know if it was any good?

I may not have taken the time to do a review today if not for the Audiobook Week fun going on over at Devourer of Books.  I didn't want to miss out!  Check it out for lots of giveaways and audiobook reviews.

5 comments:

  1. So, it was like pre-teen simple? Cause it sounds good but sometimes I can't handle that dumbed down writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    I didn't feel like it was dumbed down at all. Older teen to young adult maybe. It was just that I would have been able to get lost in their world more when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The csitune sure turned out great - what a cute daughter! The book sounds pretty good to me - I may be more open to stuiff like this post-Hunger Games, never would hav been interested before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one intrigues me more and more every time I hear about it. Need. To. Get. It. Now. Think I'll see if my library has it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one intrigues me more and more every time I hear about it. Need. To. Get. It. Now. Think I'll see if my library has it ...

    ReplyDelete