Sunday, November 23, 2008

Nefertiti


Author: Michelle Moran
This edition published by: Three Rivers Press (2008)
Length: 496 pages
Personal Enjoyment Rating: 4.5/5
Amazon Rating: 4.5/5 (113 reviews)

Back of book blurb:

Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries. Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, an unstable young Pharaoh. It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler's heretical desire to forsake Egypt's ancient gods.

From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people but fails to see that powerful priests are plotting against her husbands rule. The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will force Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game; one that could cost her everything she holds dear.

I really, really enjoyed reading this piece of historical fiction. I've read a little bit of non-fiction about general Egyptian history, but usually accounts that cover massive spans of time, so the important figures are just names or cardboard figures in my head. This book made me see Nefertiti, Akhenaten and their family more as real people and brought them to life. My favorite character was Mutny, Nefertiti's sister. I liked that she was good, smart, and loyal. She was constantly trying to cling to her own values while they were being challenged by Nefertiti's ambition. Many times, I wanted to strangle Nefertiti and shoot Akhenaten (with his own bow and arrow. You know a book is entertaining when you have thoughts of violence about some of the characters!)
I don't know about historical accuracy or probability, but it was a good story that kept the pages turning. I will definitely read the sequel, the Heretic Queen.

7 comments:

  1. You're going to love The Heretic Queen. Michelle Moran is simply excellent at what she does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Michele's sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks of the review. I have this and am really looking forward to reading it. I was going to save it for 2009, but maybe December!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle and Marg,
    I can't wait to read Heretic Queen, but my library doesn't have it, and I don't want to shell out the cash for hardcover. So it'll have to wait a while.

    Beth,
    I really didn't now what to expect with this one--I won it while participating in the 24-hour-readathon otherwise I may have never read it. I'm so glad it came my way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed reading this as well.
    I saw the other book and can't wait to go out and purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book, too! Great blog you have here. I found you through Books 'n Border Collies. I saw that you are interested in our WWII Reading Challenge at War Through the Generations. We'd love for you to sign up!!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the review...I have been wanting to read this one myself!

    ReplyDelete