Monday, November 24, 2008

Homecoming


Author: Cynthia Voigt
Originally Published: 1981
Length: 480 pages
Personal Enjoyment Rating: 4.5/5
Amazon Rating: 4/5 (333 Reviews)

Dicey and her three siblings are abandoned by their mother at a mall in Connecticut. Thinking that she might have gone on to a relative's house, tough and determined Dicey leads her brothers and sister on a journey to either find their mother, or to find a place that they can call home. Along the way, each member of the Tillerman family faces his or her own challenges, but they all play an integral part in creating a sense of family, and realize that they must stay together no matter what happens.
This is a touching, well-written story that I couldn't put down. The characters are realistic and well-written, and I grew to love each of the Tillerman children, and their mother, even though I only saw her through her children's eyes. It was painful for me to imagine four children trekking across towns and beaches on their own, having four children of my own of similar ages, but it reminded me that children often can accomplish more than we might expect them to. At the end of the story I just felt good, (and I cried). Not only was I happy for them, but I was proud of them.

8 comments:

  1. The "Easter Bunny" gave me this book when I was in middle school (I want to say 7th grade) and I remember loving it. I read the next one in the series Dicey's Song (I think), but I couldn't get into the third in the series.

    I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my all time favorite books. I was probably about 12 the first time I read it and have read it several times over since. I even did a readers theater selection from it in HS. You really should read Dicey's Song too. I've read the whole series but the first two are by far the best. Glad you liked it. It is always nice to hear someone else likes one of your favorite books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read some other Voigt books, but never the ones about the Tillerman kids. Is this the first of the series?

    ReplyDelete
  4. KT and Jeanette,
    I've already got Dicey's Song from the library and am excited to get to it.

    Jeane,
    It is the first, Dicey's Song is second, and I've read that the others are not in any chronological order--they're just about some of the different characters at different times in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this as a youngster and I enjoyed it. I can't remember the details, so maybe I should reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this book is amazing!!!!!!!!
    i read it in school hahaha and loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sar is the best!!!July 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM

    this book is amazing!!!!!!!!
    i read it in school hahaha and loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "Easter Bunny" gave me this book when I was in middle school (I want to say 7th grade) and I remember loving it. I read the next one in the series Dicey's Song (I think), but I couldn't get into the third in the series.

    I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete