Friday, June 7, 2013

Wives and Daughters Read-a-long

Unputdownables is hosting a group read of Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters during the months of June, July and August. Oh, happy summer!  Today marks the end of Week 1, and at this point we are to have read through Chapter 5.  I'm not planning to update every week (the main discussion will take place at the read-a-along hub each Friday), but I wanted to share my initial thoughts and expectations.  Then when I'm done, I'll do a final review.

I may be jumping the gun, but I already feel that I'm going to love it.  I absolutely loved Cranford.  It was witty and heartwarming, and I loved Gaskell's writing.  But then I was disappointed with North and South.  Well, "disappointed" might be too strong of a word.  It's just that I was looking for some magical combination of the writing of Cranford with the story I was familiar with from the excellent BBC production, and it didn't quite meet my expectations.  But I still liked it. I later read Mary Barton, for which I have no review or thoughts on my blog.  I found it quite unimpressive.

I'm not sure if I would have picked up Wives and Daughters if not for this group read.  My Gaskell experience seemed to be going downhill. But so far, I am very excited!  From the first five chapters, I feel like I'm revisiting the wit of Cranford, and I love the characters.  I am hopeful for that magic I was looking for in North and South.  I think it's going to be a good thirteen weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment