Monday, June 10, 2013

Finish - 48-Hour Book Challenge





I finished up the book challenge last night at 8:30 just as I finished my second book.  Two books sounds pretty wimpy, but I have to laugh when I think that only in the book-blogging world would anyone be disappointed at reading two books in two days!  I didn't keep close track of my time because I'm not entering for the prizes, but I probably spent about 12 hours reading.  Some of those hours were spent in the car with distractions, so the going was slow.

Not impressive, but very enjoyable!  I loved the two books I read:


The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner: I read The Thief about three years ago and even though I loved it, it has taken me this long to read the second book in the Queen's Thief series.  I can only wonder how long it will take me to get to Book Three.  Hopefully not another three years.  If that's the way I'm going to tackle series than I might as well go ahead and read the Game of Thrones series...
I love Gen's character.  He's not quite as magnetic as in the first one, but then he does go through some pretty tough stuff.  I had to read what happens to him in the beginning of the book a few times until it sunk in.   The story was rich and complex, and although you kind of know how it's going to end, it's still surprising and unexpected in some ways.

The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman: This one reminded my a little of the movie The Sandlot.  It had the same kind of humor and was just a nudge beyond reality.  I was laughing out loud in many places and reading bits to my family. (They don't really appreciate it when I do this, but I do it anyway.)  Shusterman seems to have held something out there for all ages to grasp and appreciate--the different ways anyone can feel "invisible" or unnoticed.  I will look forward to reading the next in the series (didn't even realize that it was part of one until I read the comments in my start-up post.)  I've also always wanted to read Unwind, maybe I'll get to that sooner now.  I think it must be quite different though.


Thanks to Ms. Yingling for hosting :)  I'm sure everyone had a great time (and read much, much more than I did!)


9 comments:

  1. The Queen of Attolia is probably my least favorite of the series, though I still enjoy it. Gen definitely gets his groove back in the third book.

    (And yes, only in the book blogging world is two books in two days slow.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job finishing those books. I didn't finish much over the weekend. A little under 100 pages because I was really busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't entering for the prizes, either. I tried to keep track at first, but my last book was kind of just estimated. I'm looking forward to next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should really read The King of Attolia before another 3 years passes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh yes I second what Brandy said-- King of Attolia is my favorite book of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving a comment and I think two books over a weekend, especially with kids in the house, is quite an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of the Neal Shusterman book, will have to look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two books is impressive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Queen of Attolia!!! (Sorry, I just get really excited when I see people read MWT's books :D )

    ReplyDelete