Monday, September 20, 2010

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Author: Ray Bradbury
Originally Published:  1962
Length:  304 pages
Source:  Library
Challenge:  R.I.P. V
Author website

Personal Enjoyment Factor: 3/5

"And . . . here comes the carnival.  Death like a rattle in one hand, Life like candy in the other; shake one to scare you, offer one to make your mouth water."

"Why, most men jump at the chance to give up everything for nothing.  There's nothing we're so slapstick with as our own immortal souls."


Many times I wish I could turn back the hands of time and read a book at a younger age.  This is the case with Something Wicked This Way Comes.  Knock off about 25 birthdays, and I would be just the right age to get lost in this fantastical tale of horror.  But if I could really do it, really become that (relatively) carefree  girl of yesteryear with the super-charged imagination (and cellulite-free thighs), would I?  And what price would I have to pay?

The people of Green Town, Illinois are unwittingly faced with similar questions one autumn when Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show rolls into town.  Its sinister purpose is not to entertain, but to lure and entice for its own gain.  I could feel as I turned each page the longing of the characters to have their deepest desires fulfilled, and the magnetic pull of the carnival with its unspoken promises to give them what they want:  youth, beauty, sex--the usual suspects.

But not everyone feels the "pull."  Will Halloway, innately good, senses the danger, but those who are closest to him are not so immune.  His best friend Jim Nightshade wants to catapult into manhood while Will's father Charles Halloway longs to be young again.  The carnival has a way to give them what they want:  a carousel that adds or takes away the years depending on whether it goes forwards or backwards.  Want a ticket?

One of the novel's strengths is its characterization of Jim and Will. They're kind of allegorically flat and yet subtly complex at the same time.  (This phenomenon may actually be impossible, but it's the only way this wannabe English major can think of to describe it). I enjoyed the contrast between the two boys and the way they were written.  There was sort of a push-pull thing going on in the writing that I enjoyed. 

As far as the scare factor goes, vivid images have been imprinted in my mind.  Freaky characters abound.  The Dust Witch will certainly be the star of my subsequent nightmares.  The evil of the carnival seeped into my bones.  I am now even more disapproving of carousels.

So why just a 3 out of 5 rating?  I got cranky with some of the writing.  Many times  it got in the way of the story. It felt jerky and sometimes forced.  When I'm  feeling that rush of getting to the end to find out what happened, I don't want to get tripped up by excess words and commas and phrases that I have to stop and decipher.   Surely this is breaking some unwritten rule of suspense writing. It's not  bad writing, it just felt misplaced.

So, back to the question:  If I could really go back, would I?  To read this book--I guess not.  To put on a swimsuit and gaze into a mirror at a youthful body sans stretch marks?  Maybe.  Just maybe.




11 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I'm about a third of the way through this for the RIP and having the same problems as you, I think - the writing is a bit off-putting to me. I'm enjoying it so far, but it hasn't been a can't-put-down book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one out from the library right now for the RIP challenge. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a couple of reviews on this one today. I think it's a sign. I need to read it post haste. (I had no idea that this was about a carnival. I'm scared just thinking about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read (and really enjoyed) this one when I was younger, but I haven't revisited it as an adult. I like how you posed the question about going back to read it at a younger age and now I'm curious if I'll still appreciate it as much now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like one I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book, but I'm not much of a scary stories person myself. I liked your description of the characters as both flat and subtle - that makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris really enjoyed this when he read it earlier this year, I must read it at some point

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read Bradbury but own one of his books. Sounds like this one might be one I'd enjoy. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm following your blog! I hope you follow me back!

    http://mylifeayoungmother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate,
    I expected it to be more of a page-turner, but it was still enjoyable.

    Reviewsbylola,
    I hope you like it!

    Jessica (Bluestocking Society),
    Carnivals can be pretty creepy, can't they?

    Lisa :),
    If you do read it as an adult, I would love to hear your take on it. It would be such a different perspective.

    Kailana,
    I can say the same about so many books! More time would be nice!

    Amused,
    It's a pretty quick read if you can squeeze it in, and it's considered a classic.

    Kim,
    I don't usually read scary stuff either--I'm going out of my comfort zone a bit this Fall!

    Jessica,
    I hope if you get to it you enjoy it as well!

    Bibliophile By the Sea,
    I've only read this one and Fahrenheit 451, which I loved. I may try Dandelion Wine next.

    Amanda Marie,
    Just visited your blog. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete