Monday, April 21, 2008

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (1943, 420 pgs.)

It seems the more I love a book, the less I want to write about it! I just want to say, "Read it! It's so good!" It doesn't help matters that I can't really pinpoint what it is that makes this novel so richly satisfying. Everything Smith writes is honest and moving, as she paints a picture of the life of an Irish-American family living in poverty in Brooklyn in the 1910's.

And that's really all I'm going to write.

Oh, and I should say that this was a book club selection, and everyone who read it loved it also.

5 comments:

  1. I've always really, really loved this book too! I have another of Smith's, Maggie Now, have you read that? I haven't yet and am afraid it won't be as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book as well, although it's been a long time since I've read it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my shelf for several months now. I don't know why I haven't read it yet. I better pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way, the more I like a book the more difficult it is for me to decide what to write about it. Interesting.
    I tried reading this book when I was a teenager but never got past the first few pages. It is on my list to read this year and I have a feeling I will get past the first few pages this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear! Hear! I recently re-read this one myself, which I hadn't read since I was thirteen, and I have to say it held up beautifully (and then some!) to my memories of it.

    ReplyDelete