Wednesday, January 30, 2008

You: The Owner's Manual by Roizen and Oz (2005, 417 pgs.)

If only I could think of myself as an appliance (most appropriately a refrigerator), I know I would take care of myself just like the manual says to! At least that's what Roizen and Oz are getting at with this book. In each chapter, they explain the way each different system of the body works, and what can be done to keep up the maintenance of your body and live longer (and better). It is interesting stuff, told in understandable ways, with a bit of overkill on attempts at being humorous. There are lots of cartoonish illustrations, with cutesy names of anatomical parts that to me just adds confusion. (I was an anatomy tutor in college, but all that unused information has been stored deep, deep down in my brain, never to emerge--unless of course I eat the suggested foods and change up my routines regularly and all of the other advice in Chapter 3.) It is very down-to-earth health advice that I will try to follow. There is of course a diet and exercise plan at the end with some yummy sounding recipes. I'm just hesitant to add them to my ever-growing "recipes-to-try" list, that is almost, but not quite, as long as my books to-be-read list!



2 comments:

  1. I've been intrigued by this one ever since it was published. My problem is that I'm just not sure the human body is a "one-size-fits-all" sort of machine, and I know I have to experiment all the time with food and exercise to see what works for me. I like the idea, though, of dividing the body into different parts and addressing each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    I agree with you about different things working for different people. I just can't over my obsession with reading about them all, without ever losing weight!

    ReplyDelete