Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Here is what I knew about Dracula before I read this book:
  • He has sharp teeth that he likes to suck blood out with
  • He can turn into a bat
  • He's from Transylvania
My only other exposure to vampires is the Twilight series, and I recall reading that Stephenie Meyer has never read Dracula--she didn't want to be influenced by it. I also remember when I was very young hearing about vampires, and I slept many nights with a pillow over my neck. And still, as an adult, I found myself grasping my neck a lot as I read this novel, and filled in the gaps (or emptiness, more appropriately) of the story.
It's very readable, which surprised me. The author is Irish, which also surprised me. I think I always imagined Bram Stoker as being Hungarian or something. The book consists of the journal entries and letters of the main characters, as they tell of their unfolding knowledge that their lives are being threatened by the evil of the "Un-dead." Here's a little bit about each one of the characters:
  • Jonathan Harker: Jonathan travels to Transylvania to assist Count Dracula in a real estate transaction--he is buying property in London, where he is going to move. He gradually realizes he is merely a prisoner in the castle, and his frightening experiences cause him to think he is mad, and he ends up in Budapest with brain fever.
  • Mina (Murray/Harker): Jonathan's fiance and eventual wife, who epitomizes the ideal Victorian woman. I almost got tired of the male characters' endless praise of her, and her constant comparison to an angel. She eventually becomes the target of Count Dracula, and much of the story involves the destruction of the vampire in order to save her soul (and prevent her from becoming a "voluptous fiend," like her not so fortunate friend . . .
  • Lucy Westenra: Lucky girl--she has three men asking for her hand in marriage. But, no time for jealousy, she is the first to fall victim to Dracula's lust for blood.
  • Mr. Renfield: A patient of Dr. Seward (one of Lucy's suitors) who likes to eat spiders and flies for their life force. His role in the narrative is in question until the end of the book, but he was one of my favorite characters--I thought he was more dimensional than the others.
  • Van Helsing: Dr. Seward's mentor, a well-renowned doctor who is open to ideas that others would dismiss, which helps in the case against the supernatural threat. He is the most knowledgeable about vampires, seeing what the others miss. I don't know if it was intentional by the author, but I found his character somewhat amusing. I think it was because his accent is portrayed only partially (he's Dutch), and he never says things plainly--he's very figurative. You would think that since they were often pressed for time, he would just be clear and specific.
One of the most interesting things about the story is that Dracula's plan seems to be to use the women to get to the men, thus overpowering everyone. It's like a parallel to the traditional story of Adam and Eve--Eve is tempted by Satan, and then tempts Adam to eat the forbidden fruit. It's filled with a lot of other Christian symbols, and a few things that I interpreted to be phallic symbols, but maybe I'm a little too much like Lucy--all too ready to fall prey to seduction!

One of my goals is to not make my posts too long--I've failed with this one. I will go on to say that I also watched the classic movie with Bela Legosi for the first time and found it very entertaining. I loved Renfield in it, the special effects and lighting were a hoot. It had the perfect level of horror for me--they didn't even show any contact between teeth and neck. You just knew it was happening, and that's usually enough for me. I managed to sleep with my pillow under my head last night--not over my neck!

5 comments:

  1. I've been trying to read a lot of classics the last couple of years, and for some reason have not yet read Dracula. I think I better get it off the shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dracula is one of those classics I have yet to get to, but am determined to get. Loved your blog on it!

    You left the comment on my blog in regards to Mary Higgins Clark - I wanted to let you know that you can start anywhere with her books, they're all stand-alones. But in my opinion, two of her better ones are definitely "Two Little Girls in Blue" and "Nighttime is My Time"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara,
    Thanks for the suggestions! I hate the idea of wasting my time on an author's less entertaining novels. But it sounds like all of hers are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this several years ago and couldn't believe how scary it was!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dracula is one of those classics I have yet to get to, but am determined to get. Loved your blog on it!

    You left the comment on my blog in regards to Mary Higgins Clark - I wanted to let you know that you can start anywhere with her books, they're all stand-alones. But in my opinion, two of her better ones are definitely "Two Little Girls in Blue" and "Nighttime is My Time"

    ReplyDelete