Monday, December 31, 2007

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

"This will be a good weekend for reading. I picked up a dozen of Vernie Crabtree's killer chocolate-chip cookies at the French Club bake sale yesterday. Those, a pot of coffee, and a good book are all I will need for the rainy weekend rolling in . . . The Wise County Bookmobile is one of the most beautiful sights in the world to me. When I see it lumbering down the mountain road like a tank . . . I flag it down like an old friend . . . I even love the smell of books."

I love it when I encounter a soul mate character in a book! Cookies, reading, rain (minus the coffee)--what a perfect combination!
This books was like a chick flick in book form. I could see it as a movie with every turn of the page. It's lighthearted and humorous, and it's one of those stories where you fall in love with the guy before she does, and you just want to smack her on the head and say, "Look at him! He's the one!" It took about 100 pages for me to start getting into it, but after that it was difficult to put down. A review from the back of the books says, "Adriana Trigiani writes with wit and grace about misguided romances and family secrets, and so very winningly about generous hearts. This urban Yankee reader found hours of bliss in Big Stone Gap, Virginia." Well, this southern California reader found a few hours of delight in this quirky Virginia town also.



5 comments:

  1. I read The QUeen of the Big Time by this author and enjoyed it. This sounds like a good one, too.

    I love your blog!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Trigiani. Glad you enjoyed her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your review and you described exactly how I felt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Trigiani. Glad you enjoyed her, too.

    ReplyDelete