Friday, March 4, 2016

Classics Club Spin #12

I forgot about Classics Club Spins!  Apparently I've missed about ten of them while I've been away.  Here are the details for how it works and my list:
  • Go to your blog. 
  • Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List
  • Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.) 
  • Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday. 
  • Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce. 
  • The challenge is to read that book by May 2, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!) 

Five I'm hesitant to read/ am not sure if I will like:
1. The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
2. The Europeans by Henry James
3. The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith
4. The Ambassadors by Henry James
5. Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Five I can't wait to read:
6. Possession by A.S. Byatt
7. Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
8. Germinal by Emile Zola ***Winner***
9. Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
10. One of Ours by Willa Cather

Hefty books:
11. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
12. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
13. The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek
14. Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
15. The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy

Random picks:
16. Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis
17. The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk
18. I, Claudius by Robert Graves
19. A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh
20. The Reef by Edith Wharton

8 comments:

  1. Great to have you back :-)

    I like to share my spin reads with others and if no. 10 comes up, we will be sharing the Cather (which I would love to read).
    The Forsyte Saga is simply fabulous and Germinal is tremendous - some great reads ahead of you at some point.

    Hope your spin is a lucky one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good idea--I should try that next time. I ended up getting Germinal and I'm excited!

      Delete
  2. I've totally dropped all motivation to finish my classics club list. :( So sad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to reading you just have to go where your mood takes you, right? Those classics will be there waiting for hundreds of more years so there's no hurry lol.

      Delete
  3. Germinal is supposed to be a great read! Have you read any other Zola? His writing is superb but can be depressing. I need to read other books in between to stay in my happy place. :-) In any case, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first Zola. I have high expectations. I can handle depressing, but it is good throw some happy ones into the mix when reading downers. I'm thinking of Thomas Hardy, for one.

      Delete
  4. I really need to do the spin one of these times - even though I love classics, for some reason I keep putting them off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this does sound like a good idea. And lucky you - got the book that you can't wait to read. :D Glad to come across your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete