Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery

Author: Lucy Maud Montgomery
Originally Published: 1926
Length: 272 pages
Source: Purchased from Amazon

Personal Enjoyment Factor: 4/5

Fear is the original sin. Almost all of the evil in the world has its origin in the fact that some one is afraid of something.  It is a cold slimy serpent coiling about you. It is horrible to live with fear; and it is of all things degrading.

I'm so grateful for "feel-good" books.  I love a good, heart-wrenching tragedy, and I'm okay with sad or ambiguous endings, but every once in a while I need the high I can get from a warm and fuzzy novel.  Sometimes the reading-induced tears need to be drops of joy and not gushes of agony.

Lucy Maud Montgomery is a great author to turn to for my happy fix.  It's interesting that Montgomery herself suffered from many bouts of depression while taking care of her mentally-ill husband and facing the demands of motherhood.  I presume that writing was her "drug", and perhaps she hoped to provide readers with an escape of their own.

In The Blue Castle, 29-year-old Valancy is unhappy and bored with her life under the thumb of severely micro-managing relatives.  For instance, it is completely unacceptable to sneeze in public.  Apparently you can suppress a sneeze by pressing your finger on your upper lip.  (I haven't tried it myself yet--I can only imagine what one must look like holding a sneeze while pushing a finger on their face.)   She flees from reality by daydreaming about her Blue Castle, a beautiful place that has grown up with her in her mind, and where she has been loved by a succession of imaginary beaus.  (I think I had a similar fantasy when I was younger, but it was more likely set in Middle Earth . . .)  But reality is never far away, especially when Valancy finds out that she only has a year to live, and the standard cure-all sworn to by her family, Redfern's Purple Pills, is not going to help her much at all.

She finds inspiration in the writings of her favorite nature author, John Foster, and decides that she will not live the rest of what remains of her life dominated by fear.  She breaks free from the conventions of her overbearing family, and starts spending time with the town reprobate, Barney Snaith.  Despite his hopelessly unromantic name, Barney ranks right up there with literary loveables like Mr. Darcy, Mr. Rochester, and Ron Weasley (a personal pick).  With her new life, Valancy tries to grasp a piece of that Blue Castle fantasy before she dies, and finds something even better.

This is such a sweet novel--not airy, cotton-candy sweet, more like warm apple crisp with vanilla-bean ice cream on top sweet.  It made me feel good, and I hope the writing of it had a similar effect on Montgomery herself.  The ending gets all wrapped up like a snazzy little birthday present.  While I wouldn't want every book I read to end so tidily, it is great getting a gift every once in a while, isn't it?

25 comments:

  1. I love to come back to Blue Castle every now and then. Such a feel good story. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Anne of Green Gables for the first time last month and I'd really like to try something else by her. Maybe I try this one. Anything likening a character to Mr. Darcy usually peaks my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I love them all as well. Some more than others, but there's just nothing else like a good Montgomery book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kailana, I could say that about so many books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get to it! Barney is sort of a roughened-up version of Mr. Darcy. There's so much more to him than meets the eye at first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, this is a perfect break between heavier books. I read this during a really busy time, and it was a nice break from the craziness of life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to go back and revisit this one at some point. I had such a strong reaction, kind of in the negative, but can't remember why that was. It's bad that I can't remember! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book so much when I was younger. I really need to find a new copy and reread it. I remember trying the sneeze supression technique--it didn't work for me at all! Otherwise, so much of it is lost to the mists of time. I imagine rereading it would be just like approaching it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We read this for our book club a couple of years ago. It was such a comfort read. Nice, quick, easy, feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my favorite LM Montgomery novel, even above the Anne books. I always feel so hopeful after I've read it. SO glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many Montgomery books I don't know about. I'm really only familiar with the Anne and Emily ones. I could really use that sneeze-suppressing technique! My baby startles hard and cries when i sneeze- she gets so upset about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really did like this one but the first time I read it I was 29, single, still living at home...yeah, it was a little too close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one Lucy Maud Montgomery book I haven't read. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for posting this great review.

    Grace at Feeding My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tricia, this would be fun for a book club. I may have to recommend it for one of the ones I go to. Maybe in between a couple of heavy ones. That makes it like dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  15. At first, Valancy reminded me of Anne, with her fantasy of the Blue Castle, and it bothered me a bit because she's 29. But then I had to admit that even at 38, I still have a few "Blue Castles." It's good to be full of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Memory, good to know about the technique. I keep wanting to try, but then I forget. I love it when a reread is like reading it for the first time. That's usually how it is for me, even if I've read it recently, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jeane, I would never have heard of this one if not for reviews popping up on blogs. One of the many great things about blogging! Good luck with the sneezes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jenny, I could relate to her in other ways, like in the beginning she's happy that it's raining so she doesn't have to go to a party. That would totally be me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I've read anything by Montgomery. This sounds like a great place to start. I love me a good tragedy, but I agree that sometimes you need something feel-good. I''ll have to try and find this one. My library doesn't have it so I may just have to treat myself to a new book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenica, I hope you get a chance to read it. Neither of my libraries had it, so I had to buy it online. I'm glad I did though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also love turning to Montgomery for a happy fix! This is one of my favorites of hers, although I love all of them, really.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This book is so great. I never tire of reading it -- although I think John Foster's books sound boring as hell. It's nice they inspired Valancy but my word, they wouldn't have inspired me. I always read this book and wonder how on earth somehow cool and fun like Barney could write such crap. No wonder he's embarrassed of it (I always think).

    ReplyDelete
  23. this sounds wonderful. I loved ANNE but haven't ever read this book. Sounds like something I need soon, just for a break from heavy stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is one Montgomery books that I have wanted to read for quite a while and STILL haven't got around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. We only had six hours at Pamukkale (Hierapolis) so when we arrived it was decided that two hours would be spent in Cleopatra’s pool. This is a large pool with shallow spots and five meter deep parts, the pool is about 35C with Roman columns within it. I have never in life experienced anything like this before and recommend that everybody does go in the pool. Note there is an additional charge of about £10 GBP, which is worth every penny www.privatetoursinistanbul.com Some time should be saved for the rest of the Hierapolis and the massive theatre, also the St. Philips Martyrium is well worth a hike up the hill. We spent the remainder of our time at the travertine’s which will also be very memorable, I recommend walking to the bottom of the hill to get photos of the pure white travertine’s and I found it was a pleasurable experience to be away from the thousands of people.

    ReplyDelete