Monday, November 15, 2010

The Odyssey: Books 7-12

In this section of The Odyssey, we get to know our title character a little more.  While it's admirable that he claims to be devoted to his wife and home, I suspect that he might just say this because it's what he's supposed to say, since he does so many IDIOTIC things that delay his return.

Nevertheless, I have formed a special bond with Odysseus.  It seems we have a few things in common:

1.  We both have a problem with emotional eating:

The belly's a shameless dog, there's nothing worse.
Always insisting, pressing, it never let's us forget--
destroyed as I am, my heart racked with sadness,
sick with anguish, still it keeps demanding.
'Eat, drink!' It blots out all memory
of my pain, commanding, 'Fill me up!'

2.  We both cry during an evening's entertainment:

That was the song the famous harper sang
but great Odysseus melted into tears,
running down from his eyes to wet his cheeks . . . 

For Odysseus it's accounts of the battle of Troy that get him going, for me it's Friday Night Lights, among other things. 

3.  Bad things happen when we fall asleep.

'Father Zeus!  The rest of you blissful gods who never die--
you with your fatal sleep, you lulled me into disaster,
Left on their own, look what a monstrous thing
my crew concocted!'

Whether it's his crew letting out the torrential winds or killing the sun god's cattle, you would think that Odysseus would have insomnia.  For me a nap can be a risky thing--when I wake up, I never know what my own little crew has concocted.  It's usually some sort of monstrous mess.  Occasionally, it involves a yummy baked good, so I guess I'll forgive them.


I would love to write more, but I have a mid-term to study for.  Coincidentally, some of the material I will be studying involves Ancient Greece.  Both good and bad timing.  For more thoughts on this section, check out the list of other posts at Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity.



13 comments:

  1. Well, thank you goodness you are not quite as idiotic as ole Ody is. Goodness gracious I did a lot of eye-rolling during this section (despite it being my favorite books so far). I had to laugh a little when Odysseus decided to stay an extra year on Circe's island for funsies. Meanwhile poor Penelope is weaving herself to death.

    Hope your midterm went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this - but now that you've put such a fun spin on it (looking for similarities between yourself and Odysseus), I might like to try the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a wonderful way to discuss this section. Loved it! Good luck on the midterm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comparisons. Bad things happen when I fall asleep as well! I agree that Odysseus isn't as devoted in deed as he claims to be. Why stay with Circe for a year when he supposedly misses his wife and son?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a really long time since I read The Odyssey, but thumbs up on this post. The humor alone almost makes me want to dive in again... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love a man who isn't afraid to cry over a nostalgic song, even if he is a little wayward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool way to look at the Odyssey! I’m especially with your both on crying during an evening's entertainment: instead of Friday Night Lights, I can’t resist House’s season finales!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you compared Odysseus to yourself! You really would think Odysseus would learn to stop falling asleep. Though if I woke up from impromptu naps to discover freshly made baked goods, I think I'd nap more often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the stuff you have in common! I'm watching Friday Night Lights too, by the way, just discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol! Those are great things to have in common. I eat when I'm emotional too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a really long time since I read The Odyssey, but thumbs up on this post. The humor alone almost makes me want to dive in again... almost.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a wonderful way to discuss this section. Loved it! Good luck on the midterm!

    ReplyDelete