Thursday, November 4, 2010

Group Read or Pipe Dream?

I may have learned to resist signing up for too many reading challenges, but a group-read of a book that I've been wanting to get to is hard to resist.  I'm not sure if I will have the time to read, post, and visit other participants in these read-a-longs, but for now, I'm just going to pretend it's completely doable, and ignore the fact that in the last four days, my reading has been limited to the five minutes before I fall asleep.



Trish from Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity is hosting a group read of The Odyssey this month (six books each week).  I've read it before, a translation by T. E. Lawrence (yep, Lawrence of Arabia) but I've had the Robert Fagles translation on my shelf, and would like to reread it before tackling some presumably good stuff (The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood) and some scary stuff (Ulysses by James Joyce). 




Frances from Nonsuch Book is hosting a group read of this new translation of Dr. Zhivago, with discussion taking place between November 16-30.  I haven't read this since junior year of high school for a book report, and I'm sure this experience will be much different.




I'm also continuing a fabulous readalong of Lonesome Dove, jointly hosted by Amused by Books, My Friend Amy, and Gerbera Daisy Diaries.  Each Wednesday, one of these blogs has a set of questions for a ten-chapter section.  I haven't been posting for each section on my own blog, just commenting on their blogs each week.  Hopefully at the end I'll do one review for the whole thing.  By the way, I was very snobbish about the copy I'm reading.  I had to have the one above, and I am loving the twinkly stars on the cover.  



I'm also looking forward to a traditional book club read of Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis to be held early in December (?).  I read and loved Main Street, so I'm really excited about this one.  Isn't that the greatest cover? 


11 comments:

  1. You know, I nearly caved and bought the above copy too, because I wanted to read McMurtry's additional commentary on LD, but I pulled out my $1 used book copy instead! It seems to read just fine! But if he has anything important to say...pass it along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's hosting Babbitt? That's a book I've been meaning to read for quite some time. I, too, loved Main Street.

    I read Lonesome Dove in 2006; it's an awesome read!

    See around for thoughts on Dr. Zhivago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding the read alongs to be even more irresistible than the challenges these days. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,
    My choosing that edition was purely superficial,LOL! I just wanted something pretty to look at. I will read his comments though when I'm done and share.

    Bellezza,
    Babbitt is for a local "IRL" book club unfortunately. But if you can make it down to Southern California, you're welcome to join us :-).

    Suey,
    Irresistible is right! But for each of the ones I decide to join, there are about three that I haven't. There are so many good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won't be joining any of these read a longs. But I do want to hear your thoughts on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I've totally given up challenges this year (including the two I hosted and failed at), but these readalongs...I'm addicted!

    I hope you can swing The Odyssey. I'm reading the Fitzgerald version but am surprised so far at how readable it is! And of course it's absolutely no pressure--we'll love to have you when you can make it but no worries if a week you can't.

    Enjoy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing The Odyssey read a long, except I'm already 6 books behind! I got bogged down reading The Jungle and didn't have time. I'm hoping to catch up this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too many good books, not enough time! I have never read Babbit *gasp*, so I am looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you are reading Lonesome Dove along with us and I love the copy you have - so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too many good books, not enough time! I have never read Babbit *gasp*, so I am looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm finding the read alongs to be even more irresistible than the challenges these days. So fun!

    ReplyDelete