Friday, February 6, 2009

Books for the Heart: February 1-14

I had really lofty goals for this event, hosted by 3M of 1morechapter. It's a win-win situation: do something I love to do and at the same time pledge money to help the American Heart Association. I imagined a marathon of reading, kind of like the 24-hour readathon times 14! But there is a lot going on this couple of weeks, so my goal is to read/finish/review three books:
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (which I actually already finished a couple of days ago. A review? Hopefully that will come in a timely manner.)
  • The Grapes of Wrath (This is for a book club next Tuesday. This one kind of thwarted my plans of reading several shorter books)
  • The Iliad (I've been reading this for a few months now, and would really like to finish it. The battle scenes are getting to me--I just want the war to end!!)
It' a great cause and it's probably not too late to join in. 3M will be donating two dollars for every participant.

9 comments:

  1. I loved the Iliad! Good luck with the event!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Iliad too! Sorry the war is getting to you. It's kind of war-heavy, it is....I hope you enjoy it in the end, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lezlie and Rebecca,
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm finding I love everything but the long battles scenes (and there are many)and tend to get cross-eyed during them! But I'm the same way watching movies. The gods are very entertaining! They're like the comic relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this event yet (too busy reading?) but it sounds like a great idea. Good luck with your reading. The Grapes of Wrath once thwarted my plans to read the rest of library books. I had to take them all back before I could get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your challenge. Two heavy-duty books that I haven't dare try yet. Did you like The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society? I have it waiting in the stacks. I want to really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guernsey and Grapes of Wrath have been on my to-read list forever...
    Good luck with the Iliad! My experience w/ the Odyssey was somewhat similar. Although I enjoyed it, through the second half, all I could think was 'GET HOME ALREADY'.

    By the way, that Goodreads widget looks really good! Too bad they're not available on Wordpress :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen the button for this event but haven't looked into it, so I'm hopping over to 1morechapter to check it out. I haven't read any of those books but am planning to read "Guernsey" when it comes out in paperback. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. For those who asked, TGL&PPPS (too hard to type out) was really good as well as pretty quick to read. I hope y'all enjoy it when you get to it.

    ReplyDelete