Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blogkeeping Plans for 2009


There are a few new things I'm planning on adding to my blog this year:

Won't You Be My Neighbor?
I added the Followers Gadget on my left sidebar, which I think is pretty fun. Feel free to become a groupie of mine!

Chain Notes
I have started taking more notes on what I read, and plan on posting them on another blog for reference. I get frustrated when I take too much time between books in series and can't remember what happened in the previous one, or when someone blogs about a book that I have read and I can't remember anything specific about it or what my thoughts were. I have a couple of reviews to do that won't have notes, but my current reads will have notes that I will provide a link too.

The Prude-ometer
I'd like to start adding a little note at the end of my posts concerning content. Not everything I read is squeaky clean, but by most standards my feathers get ruffled pretty easily by certain things. For instance, I have a really hard time reading about rape or sexual abuse. I know they are important issues to be discussed, but I haven't personally learned yet how to read about these things and not feel nauseous for a week after. I also live in a world pretty free from profanity, so while I wouldn't necessarily dismiss a book with some in it, some language still has shock value for me and sometimes distracts me from the story. I just figure there are some other people out there like me who would like to know what to expect before delving into a novel, and can avoid the things that they don't enjoy reading. I know there are other great blogs that do a great job of rating books (for instance Good Clean Reads), but mine will just be a little note at the end.


12 comments:

  1. My thing is drugs. If a book has a lot of drug use in it, I have to put it down. For some reason, I just get sick thinking about it, especially if it has to do with needles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the sexual abuse/rape issue. I had nightmares for like a week after reading The Kite Runner.

    Your note idea sounds great. I look forward to checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^.^ In someone elses blog, you said you want to check up on some other people.

    you should really REALLY go to James Dashners blog! hes such a cool person! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a follower, mainly because I have you as a subscription in my feed reader!

    The notes blog sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your additions will be great. I'm excited to see what your notes blog will be like and hope you won't be offended if I end up copying you. :) I've had a similar thought about writing more detailed reviews that could include spoilers and the separate notes blog sounds like a great way to do it.

    "Prude-ometer" is such a great word! That will be a great addition too. And thanks for the reference to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda,
    I have a hard time especially watching movies with drug use. I don't know if you have seen the movie Ray, but it was really hard to watch.

    KT,
    I have been afraid to read Kite Runner but have heard it is really good. We'll see if I'm brave enough!

    J.N.,
    I have actually checked out that blog before!

    Marg,
    I love it! Having someone "subscribe" to my blog is just as much of an ego booster as having followers :-).

    Kim,
    That would be awesome if you did notes as well. The more the better. Sometimes I check out Wikipedia to refresh my memory on books in series, but usually the summaries are rather sketchy. I like to remember all of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your picture of the housework struggle! I often think that too... :-)
    As for prudishness, I don't mind you finding offense in books. I think you have a right to read what you enjoy. Blog keeping notes - I end up putting book marks or papers on the pages I think I might want to quote on or remember, so you are not the only one who needs a little aid! Just remember that some of us are trained to review because of the nature of our works (libraries, book stores) or studies. I'm stil not very good at reviewing and I did both - worked in book stores for years and have a degree in English literature and I still can't review a book very clearly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to pop over and say Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day!

    I think will also try to add a few special notes to my reviews...I think people should be aware of obscene language when choosing a book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cartoon describes my situation right now to a T, except that these days I'm just telling visitors to step over my dust and debris! Terrible.

    Personally, I love it when people point out the "disturbing" aspects of a novel. Certain themes would definitely put me off reading a book, so it's nice to have a warning. Good luck with all your goals - I could use some of your ambition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of keeping track between series reads. It is so hard to forget what previously happened especially when you read a lot of series like I do. Great idea1

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the prude-ometer! I'm impressed that you were able to remember that level of detail ("profanity by minor character")

    I have to look into "followers". I'm not on Blogger, so I don't know if I can use this feature.

    Are you participating in Kim's Blog Improvement Project (Sophisticated Dorkiness)? She's doing a great job rounding up links of tips to read for brainstorming ideas, goal-setting, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan,
    I have a couple of friends who majored in English and they don't ever read my blog--I think they must be mortified with my writing skills, LOL!


    Jo-Jo,
    That would be great to add notes also. The more the merrier!

    Susan,
    With a new little baby, you have a good excuse to have a little dust!

    Samantha,
    Series are tough when you don't read one right after the other. I probably would have enjoyed Breaking Dawn more if I had remembered more from the other Twilight books! So hopefully the notes will help me.

    Dawn,
    I love Sophisticated Dorkiness and the idea for the Blog Improvement Project. I probably should join because there is a lot about blogging that I should learn, but I lack the ambition!

    ReplyDelete