Saturday, February 23, 2008

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool (1993, 416 pgs.)

This was a wonderful book that made me even more excited to read a few more British novels I have planned for this year, watch my beloved Brit Lit Chick Flicks more closely, and gave me an excuse to read Pride and Prejudice yet again. It is jam-packed with information about life in 19th century England, and I found myself exclaiming numerous "Oh's" and" Ah's" and "What a bunch of weirdos these Brits were. The first fifty pages or so of the book cover basic information like money, measurement, holidays, titles, how to address your betters, etc., and has examples from various 19th century works. It goes on to discuss the very specific social customs and etiquette of the times (in a carriage, a gentleman takes the seat facing backwards; a lady does not wear pearls or diamonds in the morning; girls call their parents mama and papa, while boys say mother and father). The rules of card games are explained, the system of calling cards, transportation, mail, clothing, food, servants--the list goes on and on. The last part of the book is a glossary of terms unique to the time period. I borrowed this book from a friend, but I think if I see it for a good price I will buy it, to have on hand for decoding Dickens!

3 comments:

  1. Ooooo! I'm so glad you reviewed this book! It is definitely going on my TBR list for next year. Also, the Claire de Lune is a very nice touch. Keep up the good bloggin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one I definately want to add to my shelves. Loved your review and can't wait to find this book...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo! I'm so glad you reviewed this book! It is definitely going on my TBR list for next year. Also, the Claire de Lune is a very nice touch. Keep up the good bloggin'.

    ReplyDelete