Friday, January 6, 2012

Daniel Defoe: Classics Challenge January Prompt

I'm nearing the end of Robinson Crusoe, and finally there's a bit of action.  But it involves the discovery of cannibals who are having a little European "feast."  This seems like a good place to stop, take control of my gag reflex, and respond to the first prompt for the Classics Challenge found over at November's Autumn.  The focus this month is on the author of the classic we are reading.

I don't know much about Daniel Defoe (ca. 1659-1661 to 1731), but if there's one thing I've learned about him by reading the book, it's his fondness for the term "viz.", a rather hoity-toity way of saying "that is to say" or "namely."   Luckily he mixes it up every now and again by actually saying "that is to say."  He also LOVES capital letters.  

So let's Find out Some Slightly more substantial Facts about Defoe.  First, Check him Out:


And I thought my hair was big in the 80's.  Perhaps when it came to wigs back then, size did matter.  As someone who changed his last name from Foe to Defoe to sound more aristocratic, I think he may be trying to compensate for something.

He wrote several books, (viz.) Robinson Crusoe, The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Serious reflections during the life and surprising adventures of Robinson Crusoe: with his Vision of the angelick world, Captain Singleton, Journal of the Plague Year, Captain Jack, Moll Flanders, and Roxana.

In all he published over 370 (or 500 according to Wikipedia) works, including pamphlets and journals.  From hosiery businessman to government spy, he did just about everything and wrote on just about every topic imaginable.  He even spent some time in jail.  He lived through the Great Plague of London, the Great Fire of London, and later on, the Great Storm of 1703. I don't get the idea that he was very well liked or respected during much of his life.  Maybe that's a why a novel about being shipwrecked on an island alone for several years was appealing to him.  Or maybe he just thought it would be a good way to pay off all of his debts.

Whatever the case, I am enjoying Robinson Crusoe.  I feel like I'm learning how to survive on a deserted island and going to church all at the same time.  But more about that when (and if) I write up a review on it.  Defoe was much more prolific in his writings than I.  How he would have thrived in the blogging age!  And he could have ditched the wig.

15 comments:

  1. Very insightful comments about this author, Shelley. I love your sense of humour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Moll Flanders will have to go on my to-read list...I think there's a BBC movie version somewhere? And I'm shocked to learn there were follow-ups to Robinson Crusoe! How interesting! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those wigs must have been horribly uncomfortable, particularly on a hot day. I have to confess that apart from a children's version of Robinson Crusoe I've never read any of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked Robinson Crusoe, probably because of his discussion of his religious development as he remains alone on the island. I can understand people not liking it due to the lack of ACTION. And yeah, about the cannibals. But all the same, I enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. That is some Serious Hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Moll Flanders a few years ago and was really surprised to find it was about the life of a single poor mother in the eighteenth century. I like the book very much.

    I can imagine all the men standing around comparing the volume of their wigs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read Moll Flanders! I hope I can get the image of Defoe's 'do out of my head by then. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I listened to At Home by Bill Bryson he went into great detail about the wigs that men (and women) wore. So amazing--though I think there were probably some critters hidden away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Robinson Crusoe as a child many times and I used to compare my skills with those of Crusoe, imagining how I would fare on that island. It got me into reading John Seymour.

    I really love the clothes people wore in his time (men in stockings and breeches...rawr), but those wigs I can do without. Give me a French wig instead any time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm quite fond of his hair. I wouldn't wear it on a windy day though.

    I'd be interested in what he wrote in the Journal of the Plague Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Defoe yet but when I do I'll have had fair warning about the use of capitals etc. ;)
    Thank you for your post, Shelley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have several defoe's on my list to be read. :)
    Here's myClassics Challenge post on Anne Brontë

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not read anything by Defoe yet, I might have to add one of his books to my Classics Challenge list. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. For some reason I am really not fond of the idea of 18th C. literature - it seems so earthy and bawdy. I think I could take Robinson Crusoe, though, cannibals and all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "He wrote several books, (viz.) Robinson Crusoe"
    Hahaha! I think I will start throwing "viz." into my everyday vocabulary... ;)

    And I love that he was a CAPSLOCKER. Hilarious.

    Have you ever seen the NBC television show "Crusoe"? It was horrible (only lasted half a season, I think), but the men were so lovely... (I'm easy to entertain.)

    Enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete