Thursday, July 24, 2008

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Lily Bart lives in a world where society is constantly evaluating its members to determine if they are still worthy. A part of Lily wants to detach herself from it, but her perception of herself is so dependent on her social status that she never seems to be able to break away. When her actions banish her from her social group, Lily is forced to join the middle class and live with the "dinginess" she so abhors.
If Lily could just marry someone rich, her social and material success would be assured. But she repeatedly sabotages her chances for marriage. Lawrence Seldon, a friend of Lily's and a detached observer of her high society life, is a constant distraction for her. Does she love him? Can she live the kind of life he would provide for her? I don't know for sure if she loves him, but can't be with him because he is part of a different world, or if her attraction to him is just another manifestation of her indecision. Ultimately, she can never really choose either world, with tragic results.
I enjoy a wide variety of books, but this is the kind of novel that makes me passionate about reading. It is rich with characterization, the story is gripping, the writing is beautiful and precise.

Rating: 5/5

9 comments:

  1. Wow! Nice review and guess I'm gonna have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read and reviewed this book too! I also liked it but found it less wonderful than The Age of Innocence. Have you read that? I'll bet you'd like that one since you like The House of Mirth.

    Did you feel sorry for Lily or just annoyed at her? I like her but it was a painful story to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,
    I have listened to The Age of Innocence, so it was a different experience, but I did love it also. I tried to watch the movie and I just didn't appreciate it.
    I really liked Lily. I think that was one of the amazing things about the book-her characterization.
    I'm off to read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edith Wharton had me with Ethan Frome, but The House Of Mirth is the one that has me referring to her as a genius all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought I should love Edith Wharton but have always struggles with reading her. I will have to try again some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a quick note to let you know that I left something for you on my blog. :-) Thanks for all the great book reviews and recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I got here from Rebecca Reid's review of this book. I just finished and review this book as well, and I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. I really liked Lily and felt sorry for her throughout, and I do think she was in love with Selden. I think she sabatoged herself all those times because deep down, she knew she didn't want to be the person she'd been taught to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review - I haven't read Edith Wharton before but I've been meaning to read The House of Mirth for a while now. From what I've heard about The Age of Innocence, though, ALL her books sound wonderful.

    I've been her down for a few of my 2009 challenges so, I'm really looking forward to next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca,
    I have listened to The Age of Innocence, so it was a different experience, but I did love it also. I tried to watch the movie and I just didn't appreciate it.
    I really liked Lily. I think that was one of the amazing things about the book-her characterization.
    I'm off to read your review!

    ReplyDelete